Thursday, June 4, 2015

Up All Night for No Reason

Being on a night schedule is so weird.

A little over 3 weeks ago I started inpatient night shifts, and this week I switched to Emergency Room, but I mostly have 5 PM-2AM shifts so it's still kind of a night schedule.

Last night I slept from 3 AM to 7 AM, then I went to clinic in the afternoon and fell asleep when I got home from about 5 PM to 7 PM.

It's not really enough sleep but I think I've been on a night schedule for so long I can't go to sleep.

So now I'm watching Parenthood and sitting up writing this at 3 AM.

It feels like an equivalent number of hours pass more quickly at night than during the day. Even if I think really hard I have a tough time figuring out what I do all night.

Short answer?


Here is a list of my activities since arriving home from clinic:

- Nap
- Watch Bachelorette and have dinner with John
- Watch an episode of Pretty Little Liars
- Watch approximately 7 episodes of Parenthood
- Make a veggie burger
- Make single serving peanut butter cookie dough
- Watch some movie trailers
- Get lost in a YouTube hole
- Exhaust the extent of Tumblr content
- Play innumerable rounds of Candy Crush and Soda Crush Saga
- Play approx 3 games of Settlers of Catan on the iPad. Lose them all to the computer.

I'm looking at this list and wondering if it's really true that I did nothing, really really nothing productive. Technically I ate I guess. I also drank some water. Oh! Dishes! I washed like 6 dishes.

I do have some productive things I could do, but despite the fact that I feel very awake, it also still feels like the middle of the night and my natural tendency is definitely not to start any typical daytime tasks. Off course business hour things are off the table, I could go to the 24 hour Walmart but I don't really need anything.

But when you're up so late your Chrome plugin says "Good morning" it's sort of sad to reflect back on the night and its lack of productivity.


I have a shift the next 6 days (or nights, however you figure it) so we'll see how it goes. I'd love to get back on a sort-of day schedule, but we'll see. It may not happen for another month and if that's the case, it'll just have to be ok.

And those are my thoughts about nights.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!