Yesterday marked the beginning of a rare vacation and tomorrow I'm off to California for some ocean time, to see plenty of friends, and for my beautiful friend Tiffany's wedding.
Today I was finishing up quite a few things here at home, and made this breakfast - it's been ages since I posted a recipe so thought I'd share.
This tofu scramble recipe is super simple. I'm not posting measurements for spices - I mixed a bunch of everything up a while ago and keep it in a mason jar then add about 1/4 cup to a recipe this size. You can nix things if you don't have them, just go light at first on the seasoning - you can always add more.
Simple Vegan Tofu Scramble
Serves about 2. If you're hungry.
1 russet potato (or gold, or red, probably even sweet potato)
1 bell pepper
1 14 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu
Spices: turmeric, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, curry powder, salt, nutritional yeast
optional: tomato, greens like chopped spinach or kale
For the main vegetables you can also use something completely different: broccoli & carrots? brussel sprouts and asparagus? Pick what you like or is in season.
1. Dice the potato, pepper and onion and sautee until veggies are soft. I prefer to do this starting with a little oil then cover the pan and let it steam, stirring occasionally. Takes about 20 mins.
2. Open tofu package and squeeze with towel to remove excess water. You can press it first if you have the forethought and time on your hands, but I never do and it's not really necessary.
3. Crumble the tofu into the pan with the hot vegetables. If you're adding softer veggies like tomato or greens, add them in with the tofu.
4. Continue to cook for several minutes until tofu is hot and begins to brown.
5. Add about 1/4 cup total of spice blend, or just throw a fair amount of the above spices in the pan and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes until veggie and tofu edges are crispy and seasoning is well-distributed.
Spices, tomato, tofu.
In the pan.
Thanks for reading, see you soon.