So it has come to my attention that I haven't written a blog post in quite some time and I have been informed by my sisters that I need to fix that, so here we are.
So I thought I'd just do a quick life update, featuring recent events and of course some food.
1. It's summer in Albuquerque and that means afternoon thunderstorms. The other day after clinic I happened to be walking home at just the wrong time.
I was soaked through and had to take my shoes off because they filled up with water and got dangerously slippery.
2. I'm a third year resident now. I don't think I've actually written since that transition happened. There's no big to-do or anything. You literally go to your last day as a second year exactly the same and then come to work on your next rotation the next day as a third year. It's nice to know I'm in my last year, but in my program it's not super different in terms of responsibility - you become a senior resident at the beginning of second year and start supervising interns etc. So it's more of the same thing, but it is kind of weird to be in my last year, to be one of the most senior seniors I guess. I'm glad I still have a year left because there is always more to learn, but I do feel like I've come a long way from my post about "What It's Like to be an Intern" <- click the link if you want to read it. Maybe later I'll write a post about what it's like to be a senior resident.
3. We tried this new place called Thai Spice that was terrible. I really like thai food and I feel like for the most part if you're a Thai restaurant you're probably making ok Thai food. Maybe not every dish is awesome, but in general you're doing all right. I don't know what was wrong with this place but it was just not good. Here's some pictures anyway because that's what I do, but seriously Thai Spice Albuquerque, not recommended. The little straw wrapper flowers were cute though.
4. We went hiking at Sedillo Ridge. We couldn't find the trail as described in our book but we did an up and back that was really pretty.
5. Luna is still super cute.
6. I made the Bacon, Tomato, Kale Salad from Salad Samurai and it was awesome. I've really been enjoying that book this summer.
7. John and I went camping together for the first time. Sort of the first time anyway - we went to one of those kind of in-city campgrounds with some friends a while back, but we've never gone off-the-trail camping on our own, and we'd bought some gear a little while ago so we took the opportunity last weekend since I had both (BOTH!) days off and went to Jemez. We camped off one of the forest service roads and it was beautiful. It rained on us but we stayed dry in the tent.
Luna loves the car. She'll put her head out as long as we're under 45 miles per hour.
Luna had a good time but she got scared when people down the way started shooting off guns and spent the afternoon in the tent.
Our solar station - we have an LED solar lantern and a solar charger for electronics.
Luna guarding the tent door.
Our campfire turned out really nice.
I brought the Lightlife Jumbo Vegan Hot Dogs to roast and it was delicious.
8. It's summer and that also means fresh pineapple. The one in the fridge right now might be the third one this month.
9. I transitioned from Emergency Room to Clinic - which is our urgent care rotation - about a month ago (that was the transition from second to third year) and it's been really nice to be in the Urgent Care because outpatient is what I want to do. I like it there - I learn a lot from all of the attendings there and it's a great mix of really sick patients and primary care issues. Next week I transition again to a Genetics elective with weekend night crosscover.
10. I made some Vegan Strawberry Scones today using the recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I used the basic one and added in fresh strawberries - between the fruit and the altitude here they took about twice as long to bake as the recipe called for, but they turned out really good. My scones have always been too tough in the past but I tried really hard not to overwork it and they were perfect. The jam was a gift from my friend Tiffany.
And that's pretty much what's been happening. I work, I hang out with my friends, we hang out with Luna, I eat things, I cook things, I sleep when I can.
I hope you're all having good summers.
Thanks for reading, see you soon.