Saturday, December 3, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal

A Breakfast Tale


John arrived to visit on Thursday, just in time for me to fall asleep. When I saw him after my day of work on Friday afternoon, I asked how the morning was. The exchange went like this:

Him: "It was all right."
Me: "Did you find something good for breakfast, I know I don't have any cereal."
Him: "Yeah...you don't have any breakfast food. Not even oats."

I proceeded to open my pantry to discover it was very true, I was out of oats. I vaguely remember back to sometime before Thanksgiving, running out of oats. However, I've literally eaten a banana and a Luna Bar for breakfast every day for a couple weeks (with the exception of when I was in Oregon, eating pie for breakfast). This isn't for lack of oats - it's because my stomach's just not awake at 4:30, so it has to be quite portable, and eaten between seeing patients or I'll be starving through rounds - more like 6:30. It didn't even occur to me that I hadn't bought oats. 


It's been a while since I put up a proper food post. This isn't really a recipe - just a favorite easy oatmeal combination I choose to write about in celebration of the fact that I actually got to eat a real breakfast today. I had to round, so was still up at 4 am and in by 5, just in case the list had blown up over night. However, we finished rounds (complete with a little teaching) in time for me to eat breakfast by 9 am, so I held out for some proper oatmeal. 

(Definition - "Blowing up the list": v. When the list of patients to be followed/taken care of on the service in the hospital gets significantly bigger in a short period of time.)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
1/2 cup rolled oats + 6 oz. soymilk 
Microwave 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on it, mine start to bubble over the sides around 2 minutes. 
Add:
5 g Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Powder (your choice of flavor - it would probably work with other hot chocolate powders too, but Ghirardelli's pretty much the only widely available vegan one.)
 1/2 banana, sliced
1 tbsp peanut butter
Stir, let sit a few minutes to cool/thicken.
Enjoy like it's the last non-bar breakfast you'll eat for a week. 

Far too hungry to plate it pretty. Pretty okay with it. 

What do you forget when it gets busy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!