Friday, December 30, 2011

Farewell 2011

I admit, I'm startled to find 2011 almost complete, but at least I'm still eating well even in my daze about the prospect of writing "2012" on things next week. This morning's breakfast was a new find of my Mom's: Multigrain Hot Cereal with flax and soy, cooked with 1/2 water and 1/2 vanilla soymilk. Topped with peaches. 

And now I'm going to indulge one of the things I love most about blogs: the chance to look back at memories, happy or sad, and see the way things turned out. There's an overwhelming amount, both foodie themed and otherwise and I can't cover all of them, so here's a few:

10 Significant Moments and Trials of 2011 
(In no particular order)

1. In February, I started a blog. This blog. Mostly food/health, but also other parts of my life. My parents were delighted because sometimes I post and that's proof that I'm still alive. Here's my first post.

2. In light of difficult medical school experiences, I had (and have) crippling crises of both confidence and identity. In this post [When the Scores Say You're not Enough] I tried to fight against feeling my scores were defining me. 


And in this post [Tachy Med Student in Tears] I wrote about how hard it is to always feel I'm doing something wrong. I'm muddling through, but this is something that will get better very slowly.


3. I took (and passed!) the first half of my medical boards, the USMLE Step 1. It was a bit harrowing, but I wrote about it here [USMLE Step 1-pocaplypse]. 


And in this post [Tachy Med Student: Step 1 Scores Released] I talked about the results and how I felt about it. 

4. I bought a coffeemaker and developed a daily habit. At some point I'd like to not be addicted, but that day is not today. Maybe that will be a 2012 resolution. 


5. On May 31, I got engaged! And I shared the story here.


6. I participated in Vegan Month of Food and posted 31 times in the month of October. A couple of my favorite posts were One Year Veganversary, Cooking Time Audit, and My 24th Birthday.



7. I tried 118 Degrees, a raw restaurant. I thought it was great, and John was a good sport, but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay if I never take him back. 


8. My hands and feet turned orange. I tried to stop eating carrots and sweet potatoes for awhile, but then we got to Fall and pumpkin season and I just decided to embrace it. 


9. I bought a bike and named her Nora. And started commuting by bike to class. Then I started third year and dressed in pencil skirts and mostly stopped. But I'm still glad I own a bike. 


10. I spent Christmas with my Fiance for the first time, after 5 years together, and got to meet his extended family.



Bonus: I ran my first 5k in November, but since I still haven't written about it, there's no post yet for that.

Happy New Year all, see you soon with some resolutions, and then in 2012! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!