Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tachy Med Student: What's Next?!

Match Day has come and gone and left me with a job!


In June I'll be among the many brand new medical graduates who packs up and moves to a new place. For John and I, it's the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque for a Pediatric Residency. 

I loved the program and I'm really excited about it.

For how much anxiety and work goes into the day, it seems like it came and went faster than I expected. For a video on Match Day [featuring my face - both on camera and on my husband's sweatshirt], see this post from one of my classmates on the LLU Student Blog.

School-wise I've kept busy and completed a rotation in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the Newborn Nursery - I loved working with babies and thought they were both really fun though lots of work.

And now what's next?

Basically it's like a bittersweet countdown. On the one hand I'm excited for what's next and on the other hand I have a few more relatively easy rotations with a fair amount of free time and I want this time with all my friends before we separate to the corners of the nation to last as long as possible. 

To that end, we've been trying to have some fun.

We spent a weekend at Lake Arrowhead:









Look, snow!


And to celebrate Match Day - Las Vegas! We don't go often - gambling and crazy partying aren't really our scene, but it is only a 4 hour drive away, and we had a great time. 

The view from the hotel.


Pool time, Hi Maria!

What does a vegan eat at Hooters? That's right. Salad and French Fries. Meal of champions.


The Bellagio Fountains.








Okay it's hard to tell - but that's David Guetta DJ-ing. For reals.

And we saw the Cirque Du Soleil show Ka - it was awesome.

And for Easter we went and spent time with our friends and family in San Diego.




So all this to say, I've been keeping busy, having some fun and really trying to appreciate this short time in my life before the next stage of responsibility. 

And I've been eating some good things too:

It's berry season!

Always oatmeal. Nothing's changed about that.

For a weekend treat there's vegan cupcakes at the market about a mile walk from our apartment. 

 This week I'm on vacation and this weekend it's back to San Diego for the Neon 5k. Meanwhile I have piles of paperwork I'm working on to start internship in June and I got my Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification.

I've recently realized too much "relaxation" without enough to do cuts out that productive component of my happiness, so it's nice to have a few things that need to get done.

Happy April everyone, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!