Thursday, January 2, 2014

The New Year's Resolutions that Weren't

I used to be very dependent on the calendar indicating to me that it was the start of a New Year and time for some resolutions and a fresh start. It's been a few years though.


I can think of one successful New Year's resolution in my whole life:
The year I turned 17 I used one of those Bible in a Year programs and read the whole Bible. That's not to say I didn't have months where I skipped a few days, but I always caught up and at the end of the year I actually finished it. That was awesome, but it was also my only resolution for the year and the plan was broken down day by day.

In order to set myself up for success, I just have to have manageable steps, and not too many things to work on.

At the beginning of 2012 I wrote this post of things to look forward to, which is frankly a lot more fun than listing a bunch of goals that have potential for failure.

I think instinctively there's still that feeling that the New Year is more than just another day, but how quickly we have to go back to our lives and the transition is over.

I wasn't willing to commit myself to any resolutions this year. It felt like too large a commitment, so I just picked 2 goals for January:

1. Study time 6 days a week, even just a few minutes on a patient from that day. 
2. Exercise 4x/week. 10 mins is fine if that's all I have.

And that's it. While I have an enormous list of goals and things that I think would make my life better and I'm very clear on the lifestyle disparities between right now and my ideal life, I'm going to tackle just a couple things per month. 

Do you have resolutions or goals for the New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!