Sunday, February 22, 2015

Los Alamos Adventures

Are you watching the Oscars tonight? I'm curled up with my laptop and some knitting excited to see Neil Patrick Harris, all the awards and most importantly all the gowns.

I'm not on my usual couch though - I'm living in Los Alamos for the month. I'm here for a rotation at a clinic, which I'm really enjoying, and I'm in my apartment here with just a little bit of snow outside.


Los Alamos is an interesting place - about 11,000 people, but the highest PhD's per capita in the country because of the laboratory. The town started during World War II as a secret city where the atomic bomb was made. It's a really interesting mix of modern and historical. It's also really pretty - greener compared to Albuquerque and I'm really enjoying it.


The medical center.

This weekend John came up from Albuquerque to stay with me and we went on a few adventures.

Walks around town:



The Science Museum and Historical Museum: There's amazing history here with the Manhattan Project and the creation of the atomic bomb, and the labs are still doing all kinds of research.






I don't have all the luxuries of my kitchen in Albuquerque, but it's really a pretty nice place here. We kept it simple for dinners with some pizza on the first night and loaded taco salads the second. 




The snow up at the ski hill here wasn't great, but we decided to go play in it and took some snowshoes.




We also went to the Valles Caldera - it's a valley created by a volcano about 1.2 million years ago. I hope to be able to go back several times at different seasons to see what it looks like. Today it was misty and snowy and that made it feel like our own little world, but the views are incredible when it's sunny, so it's on my list to go back in the summer.







The visitor center had this cozy fireplace and tea and cocoa. 

John had to leave to get back to Albuquerque since he has work tomorrow, but it really feels like we managed to pack a lot into one short weekend. 

It's nice here and I'm learning a lot - it's nice to go out into a community and see a practice similar to the one I hope to have one day. 

And now, back to the Oscars.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!