Monday, May 4, 2015

Ecuador: South America Part 2

I didn't have a chance to do much blogging from South America, so I'm scheduling some posts to catch you up on my rotation there. 

My first post is Welcome to Peru, which talks about my first few days and some of the Easter festivities.

After my first week, I went over to Ecuador to work with a pediatric orthopedic surgery team from my home town. We were in Guayaquil, and saw about 70-80 patients, did surgery on 31, many of which were bilateral. 

My trip over was really long - I had a delay and got rerouted to Columbia, but eventually I made it and it was a lot of fun. I did lots of exams, some procedures, and it was just nice to be part of a team again. 

The surgical team at work.

Our surgeons: Dr. Noall and Dr. Shaw

Trent our therapist helping the kids walk.

Pre-op foot washing.


Sitting in suitcases when there weren't enough chairs.

This kid was born without a right arm, a short right leg and a club foot on the left, and after surgery, a prosthesis and a walker is now walking for the first time.

Iguana park.

Cast change day. I think these were some of our cutest patients.

We lost power during our last surgery and they had to finish by cell phone light.

Me and Dad.

We stayed at the Hotel Oro Verde in Guayaquil, which is a really nice place and here's a typical breakfast.

We had a great time, but it went by really fast and before we knew it we were headed back to Peru.

Stay tuned for South America Part 3: Peru Pediatrics.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!