Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Peru Cast Change: South America Part 3

Read Part 1 and Part 2 here.

When we left off I was headed back from Ecuador to Peru.

I was traveling with my Dad and Dr. Noall who were headed back to Coya for cast change on a large group of patients from their last trip to Peru.

Our itinerary took us from Guayaquil to Lima and then to Cuzco. Unfortunately our flight from Guayaquil to Lima was early Friday evening, and then the flight to Cuzco was not until the next morning.

The nearby hotel is $200 a night and we decided that was too much, so we spent 10 hours in the Lima airport. We couldn't check our bags until after 1 AM, so we spent the first portion in the food court.

Around midnight they make you move all to one side so they can clean, and then all to the other side.

After checking the bags, we went through security and found a spot at the gate. I feel asleep on the floor next to an outlet to charge my phone. At this point the cough I caught in Ecuador was probably at its worst, so I'm sure I was a delight to those sharing the boarding area with me.

When we arrived in Cuzco we went straight out to Coya to the clinic. We were initially intending to just drop off a bag and go by the hotel, then come back and get to work, but when we arrived there were a lot of people out in front waiting, and we just decided to get started.

Cast change day was busy - we either took off or changed casts for 18 patients.

Here's the trash full of casts at the end of the day.

The following day we did a small case and had one leftover cast change from the day before (you can't eat before anesthesia and one of the patients had so we had to postpone her.)

Mom and Dr. Noall's wife arrived during the afternoon of cast change day and came with us for the morning. Look how cute Mom is in the surgical cap:

After we were done for the morning, I worked with the General Pediatrics team for the day, more about that in the next post. 

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!