Monday, November 2, 2015

28 by 28 Recap

I turned 28 last week! It was a nice day even though I had to work. We went out to dinner and my family sent me some great presents which was very nice. I had really want

The weather is cool but still sunny and so pretty here.


When October started I had ambitions of making it much farther down my 28 by 28 list. I was on an elective for part of the month, so I thought maybe I would have the time. Unfortunately my elective was busy and full of PICU crosscover, and then I went to wards where the days are long and I go to bed at 8 pm.

So suffice it to say I'm rolling over a few things to next year - but here's the list complete with all the things I finished by the time I turned 28. I've bolded the ones I did and given a link if there's a post that references it.

28 by 28

1. Read 4 books (for fun). I don't want to lie - I don't think I read 4 books for fun this year. Maybe 2. 
2. Update my "In Case I Die" letters. I wrote them in 2008. I didn't reread the old ones - I'm a completely different person now so I just wrote some new ones.
3. Develop old disposable cameras. Hopefully this one is coming soon - I do have them in my possession now instead of at my parents' house.
4. Make another video for the blog. See here for September Favorites 2015!
5. Go to Machu Picchu. This was part of my 5 week trip to South America for work. All the vacation highlights are in this post and you can check out the work in the other "South America" posts. 
6. Do a primarily strength-based workout for at least 2 months. In December/January/February last year I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I never advanced beyond the first stage, but I really enjoyed it. Then I moved away from my gym to rotate in Los Alamos for a month with South America shortly after and I didn't really continue. It has changed the way I think about how I structure my workouts though and I would like to start again. 
7. Do a 1000 piece puzzle. 
8. Go to Yosemite. My sister in law got married nearby in August and we had a great time hiking and spending time with family.
9. Spend a whole day without any non-essential media (i.e. work email ok, cell phone games not). This one was more out of necessity, but during my month in South America I definitely had some days tech-free.
10. Eat 1 raw meal a day for a week.
11. Change my gym membership to save some $.  We changed from the $20/month Planet Fitness Black Card that was just for me to the regular $10/month membership for both John and I. 
12. Try a vegetable that's new to me. This year I found a use for Napa cabbage for the first time and made a nice soup with it.
13. Bike to Nob Hill.
14. Take Luna to a new dog park. Our favorite dog park is one I tried because this was on my list - the one off Eubank has little dog/big dog sections.
15. Learn to play a new song on the keyboard.
16. Try a new type of art.
17. Take the Railrunner to Santa Fe for the day just for fun.
18. Try a new type of tea.
19. Do 20 full pushups in a row.
20. Volunteer doing something that isn't medical.
21. Make a meal plan for dinners and stick to it for a week. 
22. Watch at least 50% of the films nominated for a 2015 Best Picture Oscar.
23. Go to White Sands National Monument.
24. Take a non-medical class or workshop - online or in person.
25. Go to Carlsbad Caverns.
26. Grow something. We are currently sustaining a basil plant.
27. Try every Thai restaurant in Albuquerque [4 star or higher on Yelp]. All right there's a chance I missed one or 2 but I feel I've tried an adequate variety to know that I'm already going to the best ones. Now every time we try a new one I'm disappointed so I'm going to stick with Thai Cuisine II and Salathai. 
28. Go camping. You can read about this adventure here. 

I'm at 14/28: 50%. Not bad though I'm hoping to do better next year.
Some of these I'll roll over and of course I need new ideas so feel free to make suggestions - hopefully I'll have the 29 by 29 page up soon.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!