Monday, April 2, 2012

Study Day, Peas & Thank You Pineapple Stirfry


I went to bed at 9:30 last night and slept in until 6.

I can't even tell you how awesome it felt to wake up ready to get up, and find that I still had plenty of day in front of me. I don't really like to sleep in if it means I wake up feeling like my day's half gone.

So with my sunrise I went for a slow 5 mile run, fueled by 1/2 a banana with a peanut butter shmear. I've stuck mostly to 3-4 mile runs lately simply because my workout time is so limited with the number of hours I've been putting in at the hospital, and 5 miles kind of worked me. I'm okay with it, it just means I've been working hard in other parts of my life.

I came back rull sweaty and recovered with my favorite shake: 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 4 g vanilla pea protein, and today I tossed in a few frozen raspberries:


I tried to be really intentional about structuring my day so that I would study LOTS but have productive fun breaks and end the day feeling like I spent it well, but I don't think I really succeeded. 

I did manage to clean my desk and room and feel a little more organized. I also cooked well and went on an adventure to Target with my roommate Molly, where I found Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter on sale. Yes. 

Study-wise I did do some work but I bet if I totaled up the time spent on study vs. all the other things, I would find that poorly justified time wasting won. 

Some of that time was spent very well though - cooking. 

For lunch I mixed up a Satay Partay Tasty Bite sauce packet with crispy fried tofu and veggies. I'm still using the sampler my Mom bought me for Christmas - thanks Mom. 

And I ate it out of a metal prep bowl I had previously used to hold my chopped veggies. We like to save dishes in this house.

And as part of my Target trip I picked up ingredients for dinner and made Mama Thai's Pineapple Cashew Stirfry from Peas & Thank You. I served it with quinoa instead of rice, and I have leftovers. I thought this was really great. I don't really like the lemon tofu from Pick Up Stix, but it kind of reminded me of it, but with only the parts I like - the tang and the crispy, without the overly sticky sweetness. 


I just realized I ate kind of a lot of tofu today. No apologies, it was great. 

I still have lots of work ahead of me this week, but tomorrow I get to check off the EKG, Preventative Med and in-house subject test. 

It's weird because on the one hand this week is full of free time and on the other hand it's full of stress. I've kind of forgotten what it's like because on most rotations we just have a couple days of tests and we work right up to it. Internal Medicine is a longer, bigger rotation with a lot of extras to fit in, which is why we have this week. I'm just doing my best to compartmentalize my mind a little so I can enjoy the free time without it all being crowded out by test stress. I feel like I used to be good at this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!