Sunday, April 1, 2012

Internal Medicine Ending

April Fool's Day is kind of an anxious day for me. I don't like falling for tricks, and as a blog reader, I feel like each entry I read I have to scan for signs of untruth. Not that people get too wild, and it's usually pretty obvious. We're almost to the end of the day and I haven't heard of any good tricks yet, but I'm pretty okay with it. I'll tell you now - you can relax. There are no April Fool's day jokes in this post.

I am deadly serious about my day. Why?

Because just like that I'm done with Internal Medicine wards! I feel like I just wrote those Friday posts that said I had two days left, but now I'm really not going back to Riverside for the foreseeable future.

I think the relief of knowing I was saying goodbye made me actually a little sad.

There was a patient I admitted just a couple days after I started who has stayed on the service the whole time, and I got to know her family a little and they were asking me where I was headed next and I realized once again that I'm so in the right place becoming a doctor. It's so rewarding to see someone come in sick and get better under your care (okay not really me directly with the medical decisions) and get to know her and then get to go tell her and her family "You're doing well and we get to send you home today!"

And people are nice to me because I have the face of a 14 year old.

That's what a patient told me. The same patient warned me that if I hit a donkey with my car it's like hitting a wall and I would probably die, so drive safe.

I've been craving a smoothie ever since I watched Hunger for Change  on Friday so for dinner I grabbed an Apple N Greens Jamba Juice, with the soy protein boost.

This is a recycled picture from The Day I Didn't Use My Teeth, and I realized I haven't actually had one of these since that day (May 2011) despite the fact that I think they're totally delicious. I just usually blend my own smoothies, or crave food that requires teeth.


I felt like this fueled me well for my intended studying. Unfortunately I then proceeded to watch the pilot of Mad Men because I've been curious what everyone's talking about now that the 5th season just started, and then score rather poorly on a set of my question bank.

Nothing I can do but try. I have 5 or 6 tests this week, but I'm looking forward to a little unstructured time, I've been feeling sort of disorganized and all over the place. I have clothes all over my room and papers everywhere and I feel like I've just been throwing things down anywhere, so tomorrow organization is on my list along with all the learning. The time to schedule the way I want is really nice. 

I think tomorrow I'm going to sleep in until 6 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!