Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Night Life

I'm awake right now but I wish I were not.

I'm on nights in the Peds Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and that means I'm in that rough transition between being awake all night and trying to get used to being asleep during the day. I'll be on nights all week so hopefully by the end of it I'll be more used to it and able to get more sleep during the day, but I just woke up from a nap of only 3 hours and I feel like that's the best I can do. As you can see, it's not exactly dark in my room, despite these "light blocking" curtains.


I was up most of the night working. It wasn't too busy and our only admit came in early so lots of the time was spent just checking on things and trying to learn, and I got to nap from about 2:30 to 4:30 AM.

But since I'm awake, I've been totally productive.

First thing I went over to the DMV (for the second time in 2 days). Yesterday was a bit of a run-around but first I went to the wrong place, then I needed an appointment when I ended up in the right place, then I needed an emissions test. What's the DMV without some failure right? But this morning it was totally easy. I not only registered my car in New Mexico, but I finally changed the name on the title of my car so it's my married name. I have yet to put the license plate on the car though. Baby steps.

Woo New Mexico!!

I made soup in the slow cooker - plenty to feed husband and take for dinner for a couple nights to the hospital. This is a recipe from my Vegan Slow Cooker book, it's White Bean Sweet Potato. I haven't tried it yet so I'll let you know how it is.


I've also kept things organized in the fridge because I'm only seeing John for a few minutes in the morning between when I get home around 7 AM and when he goes to work at about 7:30. He doesn't get home in the evening until after I'm gone.

It's not that he isn't totally capable of taking care of himself, but he would eat just cereal for days if that were the easiest, so I've made lots of things that are easy for us both to heat and eat. Right now we have 2 soups, enchiladas, and rice/veggie bowls with peanut lime sauce.


Before I fell asleep and after the DMV I went on a run with Luna. She kept me going when I wanted to quit and walk so 5k later I was surprised that I made it. As I mentioned before, exercise has really fallen to a low priority in the past few months. I followed it up with the best strawberry smoothie. Luna's happy that I'm home even if I do sleep through part of the day.


And in boring news, I did a couple loads of laundry, since I'm getting my productivity on.


So now it's about an hour until I go back in to work and it seems like it came up really fast. But I'm going to start my evening with coffee and I'll see you on the other side.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!