Sunday, August 25, 2013

Weekend Biking and the Elevation

Today I went on the longest bike ride of my life.

At least I'm pretty sure. I've never been a distance biker, just a commuter and then there were all those bike rides with my family as a kid.

Anyway, today John and I went out for a ride and came back 22 miles later! I know cyclist people out there might not think anything of it, but I'm proud, and I'm on a fairly heavy hybrid bike, not a zippy road one, so it's safe to say my legs are going to be exhausted tomorrow. Of course I love Nora (yes, the bike has a name). Remember when I first brought her home with my tax refund? 

Hard to believe it was over 2 years ago. I don't think I have those jeans anymore.

So here's the loop we did: 

We headed through Downtown, up the Bosque trail next to the Rio Grande, over on Paseo del Norte and then back down the Diversion Channel - which was flowing well because it was raining on the east side of town, but not so much on us. 

The box beneath the map has the elevation info. Sometimes I forget, but as you can see we're at almost a mile of elevation here in Albuquerque. As exercise has sort of fallen off in the past couple months I can't say I've noticed a difference. I blame all my difficulties on being woefully out of shape.

The day was full up with other activities too. 

We started with a brunch with the Chiefs in my program which was really fun, then went to a new church. The message was on Esther and I really liked it. We had Chipotle leftovers for lunch:

If you slice a burrito in half, it makes a perfect 2 meals. And yes this is like the 3rd time I've used this same picture on the blog. Not sorry.

Then the bike ride was in the afternoon. Afterward we found a dog that had run away and returned him to his happy family. Shortly after that kids came to the door asking for donations for some weird program that seems to be in every neighborhood we live in. 

Sometimes I wonder, if I put a sign that says "We are hundreds of thousands of $ in debt" on the door, will people stop knocking and giving us a hard time about not donating to their bizarre programs? Probably not.

We had potato and corn soup from the slow cooker for dinner (I didn't take a picture, but it was very, well beige anyway, not exactly appetizing in appearance.) Tasted great though.

This week I'm on nights in the Intensive Care Unit starting tomorrow, which means 5:30 PM to 6:30 AM, and I have to try to sleep during the day. I'm up typing even though John's already asleep in an attempt to shift my clock a little, but I think it's just going to be rough. 

Also I'm going to try to register my car tomorrow so wish me luck as I have to brave the DMV. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!