Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Winter Vegan Corn Chowder

This weekend was the first real golden weekend of my academic year and it was great.

Two whole days at home. So we decorated for Christmas - we're not hosting Thanksgiving so it's not too early - went on a few brief adventures but mostly enjoyed it being cold and windy from the comfort of indoors.

And so in honor of the cold and windy:


Winter Vegan Corn Chowder

This recipe was inspired by one in the Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester

This is originally a classic slow cooker recipe [8.5 hrs to cook], but I'm offering you two alternatives in case you want it sooner or don't have a slow cooker. 


Ingredients

4 cups water
2 cubes (18 g) Not Chik'n or other veggie bouillon cube
1 pound (450 g) or about 5-6 red potatoes, chopped
1 pound (450 g) frozen corn 
Several chopped carrots
1 chopped bell pepper (red, orange or yellow)
2 tsp dried thyme
3 cloves minced garlic

Raw cashews
Unsweetened nondairy milk. 
Beginner tip: Most nondairy milks are sweet unless they explicitly say "unsweetened." In this case you definitely want an unsweetened milk. I would recommend almond or other nut-based as opposed to coconut or soy for savory dishes. 
Fresh basil, handful chopped

To Cook

1. Combine the water through thyme in a slow cooker or large pot. 
2. If using a slow cooker you have 2 options: 
Cook on low setting for 8 hours or high heat setting for about 3-4 hours. 
If using a pot, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer: it should take about an hour. Test the potatoes to tell when it's done: they will take the longest to cook.
3. Once your base is just about done, combine about a cup of the nondairy milk with 1/2 to 1 cup of raw cashews in a blender or magic bullet. Just pour and toss in some handfuls. I like to remind myself this is soup, not chem lab.
4. Blend until mostly smooth and add to the pot with the basil. If you would like a creamier soup, also blend a couple cups of the veggies and broth mixture and add back to the pot. I prefer my soup pretty chunky, but modify to your taste.
5. If using a slow cooker on low, turn up the heat to high, or continue on high: cook for 30 minutes more. If using a regular pot, just continue to heat until heated through.
6. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Prior to adding the milk/nut mixture.

The ugliest soup photo ever taken.

The finished product.

Happy winter!

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing! I love corn since I was a kid. So lucky I found this recipe. I will try to make one if I have time. Thank you! Let me also share something, I also follow one website which talks about vegan food and fitness, http://www.bodybyblasian.com/
take care!

Post a Comment

Add a comment!