Friday, May 25, 2012

Congratulations to Second Lieutenant Shannon!

Or: The time I went to Colorado for 22 hours and saw my sister meet the President and graduate from the Air Force Academy!


President Obama, Shannon.


As of Wednesday, my sister is a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force. She's also a college graduate with crazy studies in Physics and Math headed for her PhD studies after her break.

It was a whirlwind trip - less than 24 hours on the ground in Colorado - but so worth it to see my family and especially my sister Shannon graduate. President Obama was there, the Thunderbirds performed, and I got to see all three of my sisters all in one place. It's too rare.

We got ready all together.

Faces as usual.

Oatmeal w/ peanut butter, honey and banana for breakfast.

And coffee.

Don't forget the coffee.

Now we're awake.

Then it was on our way. 

USAFA Graduation.

And we did hit some traffic, but made it in plenty of time.

It's so impressive the way they all march in. 

And they look so classy compared to those snowman robes the rest of us wear to graduate.


And then the President was there. 


After the speech, which was far more political than graduation-themed for my taste, time for diplomas!

Over 1000 cadets. It took awhile. 

Yeah!

And then after taking their oath, celebration!



We danced in the stands while the Thunderbirds performed.



Parents <3.



Love you Emma. And your face.



Graduate!

And then after a quick trip around the Academy and some packing, it was almost evening and we were all starvingpants. And then I got to take this picture: Proof I'm not the only one in my family that thinks food is important.


Not to worry. Noodles & Company to the rescue. I had the Japanese Pan Noodle with Tofu.


And so hangriness averted, we said our goodbyes and headed to the airport. Of course it was much too short, but I'm so glad I was able to go. Definitely worth it.


Congratulations Shannon!

It's graduation season - who are you celebrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!