Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WIAW: The Cafeteria and Helicopter Crash

Thanks as always to Jenn for hosting.

Happy What I Ate Wednesday!

Nothing has changed since last week really. Except the flavor of my giant bottle of Costco Naked Juice.

I didn't intend for juice selfies to become a thing on the blog, but sometimes things happen that I don't intend. Like crazy eyes. So now we're working our way through some Blue Machine.


Costco sells the Mango, Berry Blast (the red one), Blue Machine, and Green Machine. I like all of them and since we can go through this jug in about a week, we've just been rotating the flavors. Sometimes we also get carrot juice.

As usual I mixed about 2 oz. with a mason jar full of water. Hydration yay!

If you're wondering (you're not) at that rate how I can finish one of these jugs in a week, don't forget I have a husband. He's tall and needs lots of nutrition. And likes Naked Juice. If I were on my own I have no idea how long it would take to drink this. At a rate of 2 oz. a day - like a month.

So after some hydration, it's always coffee. I used to go straight for coffee, the problem of course being that I was totally dehydrated and stayed that way. Not that I really noticed, but I figured that probably wasn't good for me. Sometimes that morning jar is the only water I get until afternoon, but it's more than none.

Let's move on. 

Breakfast: Peanut Butter Banana English Muffin. This breakfast is so simple, but I just love it. I can't fit all the banana on top of my english muffin, so I always just eat the rest. Shout out to Sarah who used to eat this all the time (maybe still does - I absolutely love her blog but it's less food-focused now) and I never got tired of seeing it.


Lunch: Cafeteria Salad and Waffle Fries. All right, have you seen the John Mulaney New in Town stand up show? It's on Netflix and I make everyone watch it because it's awesome. He does this bit about restaurants and mentions these two food and the disparity between them. I say, if you eat one it balances out the other. So get you some salad and fries and watch some John Mulaney.


The real issue with the above lunch is that these are my options in the cafeteria. There are no vegan entrees, about 50% of the time there's a vegetarian entree. I try to bring my food but when I forget or don't have time, this is what I'm left with. The salad bar only has beans maybe 30% of the time, no grains, but always tuna salad, which is not really my thing. Plus some trail mixes and some prepared salads that once made me throw up for a whole night - so I don't eat those anymore.

Snack: Larabar, apple. 

Dinner: Trader Joe's Eggplant Wrap. Not totally my favorite just because I've never really gotten into the texture of Eggplant, but all the flavors of this are really good. The equivalent without the Eggplant is the Spicy Lentil. John picked up a couple things for me at Trader Joe's recently when the power was shut down at the hospital and all the non-essential areas (including food) were closed.



Why was the power shut off? This:

Fire crews respond at the scene of a helicopter crashed on top of University of New Mexico Hospital

A helicopter crashed on the hospital roof last week. Fortunately no one was seriously injured, but it took several days to evaluate the damage and get it moved. We're all very grateful that the outcome wasn't more serious.

And so with that I have to leave you and go about my morning. There's lots to do before clinic starts. Like go to Target. And walk my dog. And a load of laundry. And also productive things like grant writing. Wild.

Have a good wednesday!

Do you have a cafeteria that serves food you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!