Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WIAW: The Final Week of NICU

Thanks as always to Jenn for hosting.

Welcome back WIAW-ers. I'm Kari, I'm a pediatric resident in New Mexico, and I really appreciate you clicking on over.

4 more work days of NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). I like to think of it in terms of wake-ups. 4 more wake-ups for the NICU. For this academic year anyway. I'll be back in December. 

I don't want to give the impression that I don't love my job, being a pediatrician is totally my dream, but being a resident is sometimes hard to enjoy and though the NICU has been an unexpectedly positive experience overall, it's still not my life's work. 

Switch day is next Tuesday, and I go to the Emergency Room. The major advantage of that rotation is that the shifts are spread throughout the month so since I'm not taking vacation, I still have a couple stretches where I might have 2 days off in a row. 

I've taken to referring to Wednesday mornings as "Housewife Wednesday" while on this rotation because I get to send John off to work and then hang out with Luna and I don't have to be in clinic until 1. 

She's giving me these eyes because we're not outside.

I typically get some house or cooking things done, grocery shopping, laundry, though not always - sometimes I just have piles of admin stuff and work to catch up on. This morning I have a meeting for a community grant I'm writing, but after that I need to go get a gift for a friend's bachelorette party, so it will be a mix of both. 

Wednesdays this month are also often one out of maybe two days when I manage to fit in a blog post. Better than nothing?

So thanks for reading the long intro. Here's WIAW:

Breakfast: Quinoa Bran (idk what to call this, post about it coming later) with Strawberries and Banana. Naked Juice/water and coffee. Costco was closed for Easter this week so I liberated these from my hospital cafeteria to tide me over.



Lunch: Instant Minestrone. I thought it was a little ambitious of this instant soup to dry to do minestrone, complete with beans and pasta, and I had to try it. It was all right, but I think I'll stick with the asian flavors and noodle soups - they seem to lend a little better to the instant variety. Unpictured apple.


Snack: Trail mix.

Dinner: Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna. This is from More Peas, Thank You and it's a favorite. It's easy, healthy, and very easy to adapt for food allergies. This picture looks like it's glowing and all I can say is I'm grateful the days are longer and the blinding sun makes it into my house.


Dessert: Soy Creamy Ice Cream Sandwich. Chocolate.




So that's how it's going this week. I hope you're all having a good one. See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!