Wednesday, April 2, 2014

WIAW: Back to Work

How has it been a whole week already? My vacation in Ohio with Shannon ended far too quickly and now I'm back to work. 

Miss you already!

So happy What I Ate Wednesday.

Thanks as always to Jenn for hosting.

As of yesterday I switched from my advocacy rotation (called PARC) to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, which is always a rough transition both because of the level of illness of patients and because of the hours we work.

We work 7 AM to 7 PM with one weekend day off. We also have clinic mornings off, which for me is Wednesday, but I had an early start because I accidentally took home a delivery pager (recycled picture from my What's In My Work Bag post, but you get the idea). The delivery pagers let us know where to go (and if we need to run) when there's a baby being delivered that might need resuscitation, but we're not supposed to take them home. 


I walked in the door at home last night and realized I still had 2 pagers attached to my scrubs, but there's enough that I just had to have it back my sign out this morning at 7, so in the dark this morning I ran over to the hospital to return it and then resumed my productive morning before clinic. 

Breakfast: English Muffin with PB and Banana, Naked Juice, coffee.

We've started buying our juice from Costco. I've been mixing 2-4 oz. with water to fill up a jar - about 12 oz.

64 oz of Berry Blast juice. That's the size it should always come in.

Coffee, juice/water mixture

English muffin

Lunch: Gardunos Veggie fajitas turned into a bowl with all the fixings.


Snack: Power Protein Ball


I used this recipe: No Bake Energy Bites. I didn't use chocolate chips and added a scoop of protein powder. It made 19 balls which work out to about 100 calories and 4 grams of protein each. They're absolutely filled with super foods: chia seeds, oats, coconut, flax, peanut butter etc.

Dinner: Vietnamese. Little Saigon in Dayton. Technically this wasn't today - it was a meal I had with Shannon in Ohio, but I really wanted to share it, and I would eat it today if I could. 

Fresh spring rolls.

Tofu veggie Pho. If you're thinking this looks enormous, you're right, but I still ate most of it. I always add all the cilantro and sprouts - they're the best part.

I'm trying hard to think ahead and eat healthy while on this rotation with long hours, but it definitely takes some planning to have all the necessary parts available, which is why I made the power balls linked above, they're so easy to have for a snack and much less expensive than commercial bars.

What's your favorite grab and go snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!