Monday, April 4, 2016

Pregnancy Update: 27 Weeks

I don't have gestational diabetes! I mean I'm pretty sure I don't. More about that down in the food cravings section. 

Bump: In these photos I'm wearing a Toad & Co. dress from REI. Not maternity and looking super cute with the hiking boots.



1. How far along are you? 

27 weeks

2. How big is baby? 

A rutabaga or a bunch of bananas. These food comparisons are useless to me but suffice it to say he's growing.

3. Total weight gain/loss

I'll find out on Tuesday. I was up 9 pounds total at 24 weeks and I feel like I've gained another 10 - the belly feels huge in comparison to 4 weeks ago - so we'll see.

4. Purchases

I didn't really buy anything this week, but we did reserve a hotel/resort spot for a weekend in April - we're going to leave town, go somewhere warm and I'm going to hang out in a swimming pool. I've been wanting to swim for ages but it's just not convenient here so we're going to use some of our Starwood American Express points and take a little babymoon to a place with a pool. A nice pool. And a lazy river.


5. Sleep

I stayed sick all week, so last night was the first night I made it back into the same bed with my husband. I slept in the guest bed for a few nights so the coughing/nose-blowing/tossing and turning wouldn't keep him up. I think it's easier for me to sleep alone when I'm sick too, so it was good for both of us. Most nights I think I got plenty of sleep overall, just woke up a lot. 

6. Symptoms

I'm mostly recovered from my cold though still feel like I have allergies. I'm a little more tired but that might be sickness-related. I also feel like the pregnancy brain is getting worse - I lose words and forget what I was talking about. It's not been bad with patients at all, but I notice it especially at home.

7. Rings on or off?

Still on.

8. Belly button in or out?

Still in.

9. Food cravings/aversion

Still everything sweet - I'd like to cut down a little bit, I think some days it's a little excessive. Maybe when I see that 10 pound weight gain I'm nervous about on Tuesday that will help motivate me. 

The good news this week though is that I did my gestational diabetes screening and the number came back super normal at 82. I haven't actually heard it from my doctor yet since the appointment isn't until Tuesday, but I think it's safe to say I don't have gestational diabetes. Maybe I went a little crazy this week celebrating - definitely need to set some sugar intake goals.

I also had my hematocrit checked at the same time since we had stopped my iron-containing prenatal vitamin that I was having a hard time tolerating. (I'm still taking one without iron.) That came out normal too - at 40. 

So I was very excited about both of those results.

10. Fitness

I don't think I worked out at all this week. I walk Luna every day, sometimes twice if I get home in time to go with John in the afternoon, and I walk to and from work, but I didn't do any dedicated exercise like I had been doing - I just felt too sick most of the week. 

11. Feelings and Mood

I am so ready to be done with clinical rotations. I have 3 weeks of work left where I actually have to show up somewhere specific every day. Then I have vacation, and then self-directed rotations for the final 8 weeks, and I just wish the days would pass faster. I'll be busy during those self-directed times, but it'll be a different pace and I'm just counting down until it starts. I think my mood was fine this week considering I was sick - really I was busy working and didn't have time to have an attitude, but I think it did creep in every once in a while.

12. Pregnancy Perks

Never have my super frequent snacks been so encouraged. I ate fairly often even before pregnancy but now the snacking is almost constant and I don't get any judgment for it, so that's nice. 

13. Best moment this week

The best moment this week isn't really pregnancy related, but it was walking out of work on Saturday. That's because Saturday was the last weekend day of work for my residency. Over a year ago when I put in schedule requests for this year I was hoping to be having a baby around this time, so my schedule was very front-loaded and I've now reached the point in the year when I don't have any weekend crosscover. Of course I'm not done working weekends forever - I'll still have call in my new job - but I do have a break for a while.

And that's 27 weeks.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!