Monday, June 20, 2011

The First Day of Third Year Medicine

I have a theory: Where I'm rotating, they vaporize the happy drugs and pump them through the ventilation system.

Today was my first day as a third year. I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole. I have no actual role except to learn as much as I can. In the actual importance of patient care, the people serving in the cafeteria are significantly more influential. Everyone actually, is more influential than me.

Let me preface today's recap by saying that I've heard the horror stories of surgery. Shoot, in just two weeks to cap off my first year I experienced the horrors of the surgery rotation. The surgeons who yell at the nurses, who seem to be watching specifically for reasons to yell at the residents, and 13 hours scrubbed in, standing up, not eating, not drinking, getting asked biochemistry questions to which I did not know the answers.

The surgeon told me my professors would be disappointed in me. It was a shining moment. 

Today though, I am at a different medical center, and I won't say it's going to be awesome, because I guarantee I will screw up, feel stupid, disappointing and cry sometimes, because I'm a waterworks by nature, but today was a very positive day. 

The surgeons were friendly, willing to teach and very encouraging. The classmate I'm rotating with is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I've ever met, the staff actually welcomed and acknowledged us, my badge picture doesn't suck, I was done by 5 pm and they feed us for free (in theory, if we ever have time to run to the cafeteria). 

Also, my attending occasionally sings questions to his patients. And they seem to love him.

I didn't actually get to check out the cafeteria today, I just grabbed a few bites of a tostada at a noon meeting, but I'll have updates on caf food later, as I figure out whether I'll have many options or not. 


My notable snack today was my favorite luna bar: Chocolate Dipped Coconut. I'm going to need to buy some more of these.

And I didn't really take any pictures...it was a busy day.

I'm tired and it's 8 pm. We've barely started. 

Suck it up princess, it's started out great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!