Friday, June 3, 2011

My Boyfriend Is Now 2x Closer!

Thing 1: Yes, John has moved! We are no longer in Santa Barbara. Instead I'm writing you from his new apartment in grad student housing in Irvine. He's starting a class this summer and he'll be starting a full load for the Civil Engineering Masters program in the fall. His focus is Structural Engineering. Obviously it's really exciting that he'll be back in grad school, but it's also exciting because he's now just 1 hour or less away from me, as opposed to the 2.5+ hour drive we had between us before.

Thing 2: Detox Update:
You might remember that my post-Boards detox included no caffeine for a week, 3x a week running and 2x a week strength training...

Caffeine: John's (former) roommate works at Starbucks and makes awesome french press coffee in the morning.



Therefore, long story short I wasn't going to pass up something so delicious just because it was only Day 6 (Thursday). SO worth it. And I didn't get a headache on Day 5, or today, so I deem myself successfully off the caffeine-dependence. Side of (poorly photographed) oatmeal: 1/2 cup oats, ~1 cup milk, 1/2 banana, dollop peanut butter (the good stuff - Boyfriend has the crunchy Peanut Butter & Co.)

Running: 2/3 this week. Not sure if the third will happen though. Maybe if I wake up before it gets hot tomorrow. It's possible.

Strength: I'm going to go ahead and count helping John move as strength training. Heavy boxes right?

Thing 3: After breakfast yesterday we headed down towards Irvine and stopped in Long Beach to have lunch with John's Grandmother. She had set out a gorgeous table and was incredibly savvy to my vegan preferences. We had soup, bread, fruit salad, and I forgot to photograph dessert, but it was called a "Chewy" and it was incredible. I know flour, sugar and pecans were involved. I plan to find out in what proportions, because, wow.





Thing 4: After safe arrival and some moving of heavy things into John's new apartment, we were pretty hungry and low on energy. Time to track down some vegan-friendly food. Well, turns out Irvine may just be a vegan heaven. More on that in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!