Monday, July 11, 2011

Veganomicon Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Stir-fry


After my morning breakfast of new-to-me quinoa flakes, and my statement that I actually didn't love regular quinoa texture all that much, somehow we ended up with quinoa for dinner. However, this was an awesome decision. It may have even redeemed my opinion of quinoa texture.

Veganomicon never fails us. This was awesome. 


If you haven't listened to me yet, and therefore still don't own the book, the full recipe can be found here: Veganomicon Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Stir-fry

My changes included:
1. Canned pineapple instead of fresh. This also supplied the juice necessary - it was about a cup.
2. Replaced mirin (a sweet rice wine) with another tablespoon of veggie broth.
3. Red bell pepper AND yellow bell pepper. I always add extra veggies. I just can't stop.
4. Half a serrano chile instead of the red chile - we just couldn't find red.
5. After the last 10-14 minutes of stir-frying, we cranked up the heat and gave it another few minutes to make it kind of fried and toasty.

Ingredients: Quinoa (after refrigeration in the pot), peas, peppers, veggie broth, pineapple, soy sauce, limes.
In prep bowls (clockwise from upper left): Basil and mint, scallions and garlic, toasted cashews, chile and grated ginger.

Chopping up that chile seemed easy, but after extensive exfoliation of my fingers my eyes and lips still burn if I touch them. It definitely didn't make the dish spicy, just be careful about touching it. 

I bought a new basil plant for the occasion. Johanna has plans for it. I sincerely hope it fares better than my last one.

The cashews, post-dry toasting.

Scallions and garlic. 

Plus chile and ginger.

Plus peppers and peas.

Plus everything else. 

Frying a little extra at the end. 

His and hers. Served with lime wedges. 

So. Good. 

What's your favorite pineapple dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!