Wednesday, December 10, 2014

WIAW: Sick Edition (#2!)


What I Ate Wednesday!
Thanks as always to Jenn for hosting.

I was titling this post and got the weirdest sense of deja vu, and then I looked back and found this post: WIAW: Sick Edition from March last year.

So it turns out I'm sick a fair amount in the winter. I had a good stretch for a couple years after I started eating vegan without getting sick, but after I started residency I think the sheer volume of virus exposure is just a little too much. I caught about 3 colds last winter, and this is #1 for this year.

One of those precious little ones I've made a career of seeing definitely coughed in my face. What can you do?

Anyway, I started feeling sick towards the end of my second night shift this weekend and at least now I don't feel feverish anymore.

So what do I eat when I'm sick?

Breakfast: Mango Banana Smoothie and Coffee.


It was so good, just the ice cream-like soothing my throat needed. Have to get in that vitamin C. More that's about the scurvy I talked about last week than the cold. If you're vitamin C deficient, it will help with your cold, but those mega-doses that people take, well, let's just say they work if you think they do.

I do think there's a certain advantage to a nice cold remedy tea when I'm sick, but I'm also painfully addicted to caffeine, so the coffee train doesn't stop just because I'm running a snot factory.

I'll include the recipe for this smoothie in this week's Friday Faves.

Lunch: Moroccan Lentil Soup from Whole Foods.



I was on my way home from morning clinic and Whole Foods was on the way. I really wanted something hot and a little spicy for my sinuses so this was perfect. It's from the hot bar. I think it needs a little salt, but after I added that it was the perfect sick day soup.

Dinner: Balsamic Farmer's Market Sub

We went to our bible study at a local pizza place. This is a recycled picture - I got salad on the side instead this time.

I also brought with me a full size box of kleenex, because I am a classy lady.


I finished the evening with some tea and the Victoria Secret Fashion show.

I'm hoping for a quick recovery - work doesn't slow down.

Thanks for reading, see you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!