Sunday, March 23, 2014

Travel Essentials

I'm spending this week in Ohio visiting Shannon.

On Friday night I started packing, but stalled out with clothes all over the room, so I finished packing in the morning since my flight wasn't until 10:30.


My trip here took me most of yesterday. The first leg of my flight was smooth, but then I got delayed in Baltimore for about 3 hours.

The full day of travel had my thinking about what makes travel more tolerable, so I thought I'd share a few things that are usual for a travel day.


Travel Essentials

1. The Bag: This Cynthia Rowley handbag is big, pretty, but fits under the airplane seat. It was a present from my roommates for interview season in 2012. I love it because it's soft, fairly lightweight on its own and makes a great carryon.


2. The Outfit. I like to be comfortable but not look like I'm in pajamas. I typically wear leggings and a soft dress. For shoes I like some real ones with warm socks because my feet always get freezing on planes. I usually wear something that would otherwise take up space in the suitcase. I also always have a jacket or wrap.

Boots: DSW. Leggings: Forever 21. Hairs on leggings: Luna.

Jacket: Anthropologie.

3. Food. On a typical travel day I usually try to bring a snack if I have a long leg, but will also occasionally buy a meal at the airport if I know I have a layover. I had overnight oats at home before I left, but still thought I was going to be pretty hungry on the plane. 

I got a Guava smoothie and finished it before my first leg took off.

After we landed in Baltimore, I got the Veggie Guacamole (no cheese) from Quiznos. It was really good. I also had some unpictured Nutter Butters, which, like Oreos, are vegan if you (like me) are not super strict about the process-based questions as opposed to the ingredients.

4. Entertainment. Flying involves a lot of sitting around. Rushing through the airport ends at sitting at the gate for ages. Usually if I have some magazines at the house I'll save them to read if I have an upcoming trip. I also try to bring a book, and always my ipad. 

I brought this one from home.

Mindy, my iPad mini. I have Settlers of Catan (thanks to John) that I can play without the internet, so that helps me pass some time. The headphones that are sort of snaking through the bottom of this photo are also vital.

I didn't take a picture of my own, but I was also reading Wicked. 

Don't forget something educational. Here's a pile of articles I'm reading for my Advocacy rotation.

I forgot a picture, but I also bought this month's Runner's World. It's been a while since I've been able to run regularly, but I really enjoyed reading it and it made me inspired and excited to set some goals.

5. A mostly empty plane. Okay this isn't technically essential, but on my leg from Baltimore to Ohio, there were only 30 people on the 150 person plane and I had a row (multiple rows) to myself. It was really nice. 



And with that, I arrived!


Stay tuned for more updates this week from Ohio.

How old does Shannon look in this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!