Saturday, March 8, 2014

Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes

Happy Weekend! I had Saturday clinic today so I had to head into work after a nice breakfast this morning, but thought I'd share my favorite pancake recipe with you all.


These pancakes first appeared on the blog in my New Year's food post, and they are a recipe I've been making for a few months now.

I've tried a LOT of vegan pancake recipes, and this is definitely my favorite. I think the challenge is getting them fluffy - most of the recipes I've tried have made them too dense.

This one is adapted from 500 Vegan Recipes.


Because this book doesn't have any pictures, it's sometimes not a go-to for flipping through for new recipes to try, but lately I've been cooking from it more and been really impressed - everything has been great. So my favorite pancake recipe is adapted from here. 

Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients
1 cup (125 g) flour (I use white whole wheat)
1 tbsp (12 g) white sugar
1 tsp (3 g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 g) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1 g) salt
1/8 cup (30 g) oil - anything without a strong flavor will do
lemon (for 1 tbsp juice)
1 cup (8 oz.) soy milk. Sweetened or unsweetened - your call but it should be soy. I haven't tried it with other kinds but the prevailing wisdom is that nut milks won't give you the necessary curdle
1-2 tbsp flax meal (I use 24 g)
Add-ins: banana, chocolate chips, berries etc.

Combine the lemon juice and milk and set aside.

Combine the dry except the flax meal.

Mix the flax meal with the oil (or a little extra water or milk - depends on the thickness you want) and let it set if you want. I mean, you're supposed to, but whatever, if you're starving you don't have to.
True confessions: I didn't want to use another dish so just sort of did this on top of the dry ingredients.

Add the curdled milk and flax egg to dry ingredients.

Fold in add-ins. I went with a spotty banana.

Scoop 1/3 cup batter into pan on medium-high heat

Cook 3ish mins each side until the top bubbles and the edges start to looked cooked

This recipe makes 7 pancakes. To be clear, and in keeping with yesterday's post on undereating this makes breakfast for John and I with typically no leftovers.

I top mine with peanut butter, warm pure maple syrup, and banana slices. Really anything goes though. 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!