Monday, March 17, 2014

Vegan Shamrock Shake (No Mint Extract Required)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


In honor of the holiday (and my roots - not very much descent roots, just hair roots) I freshened up my hair color. 

The light changed a lot between these, so my skin looks different too, but I didn't dye that. Much. I did miss a bit and I do have some spots of dye on my skin I had to exfoliate off.

Now on to the recipe. 

There are a million of these recipes here on the internet. I like to keep it very simple, but there are tons of possible variations.

This one doesn't require mint extract, instead we'll be using tea. If you have mint extract, of course feel free to use it. Or any other extract - it doesn't have to taste minty just because it's green.

Vegan Shamrock Shake

Ingredients
1-2 Frozen bananas, depending on desired size
Handful of spinach
Mint tea bag
1 oz. hot water
1/4 to 1/2 cup (2-4 oz.) Non-dairy milk

Trader Joe's Candy Cane

Small amount of hot water.

1. Combine the tea bag and small volume (1 oz. ish) hot water and let sit. A general rule is that if you let it sit until it's cool, it'll be strong enough. If you don't have that kind of time, let it sit hot for at least 5 minutes, then cool the liquid in the freezer. The longer you can wait, the stronger the minty flavor. Strictly speaking you could get away with blending it in hot, but it'll take some of the nice frozen creaminess away from your banana. 


My bananas are really brown - they were super ripe.

2. Blend all the ingredients, including the mint tea concentrate, together until smooth. 


3. Pour into your preferred receptacle and enjoy. 

Happy sipping! 

I should also mention that the spinach is not technically essential to this combination either - though then it won't be green - it adds nutrition but doesn't change the flavor. 

Besides this I didn't do much this St. Patrick's Day, just worked a bit, took a trip to Costco, you know ... wild.

Did you eat anything green today?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!