Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The First Portland Day

I made a mistake last night. 

I had a headache and not being prone to headaches, took some Excedrin, no big deal. I'm a coffee drinker, but something about that caffeine plus maybe the nervousness of a new rotation and the unfamiliar room means I think I was awake more than I was asleep. 

BIG cup of coffee morning. 

So, ready for the new workweek? Or maybe if your work is unkind and you didn't have the holiday, you're already in it. 

As I've mentioned, I'm living in Portland for January for a Family Medicine rotation, so yesterday was my first full day in the city and it was my last day with John until I go back to Loma Linda, so we got me all set up in my new room, but also tried to have some fun. 

We saw this movie. It was a lot of fun. 

We stayed with some friends from college in Vancouver and that was great. After moving me into the dorm where I'll be living, we headed downtown. 

Specifically to Lululemon. John bought me two shirts for Christmas but wanted me to also go see if there was anything I liked better and wanted to exchange for. Of course I loved both of them, but I did find one I liked even more. 

I kept one and exchanged one. On the left is the "Run Swiftly Tech SS" and right is "No Limits Tank," which is the one I picked.
When I combine these with some of my other workout presents from family, I'm very ready to look good while I sweat. As good as one can look perspiring with a red tomato-face.

Lunch yesterday was at Prasad, a vegan restaurant attached to a yoga studio. It reminded me of Native Foods, but, dare I say better?


This sign says to keep your voice down because the space shares with the yoga studio.


The rain (however much I love it) makes my hair crazy.


I got the Mayan Bowl: lentil dal, quinoa, steamed kale, house applesauce with a garlic tahini sauce.


John's was the Dragon Bowl with peanut sauce: Avocado, steamed kale, beans, red rice and peanut sauce. Except I ate lots of the kale, he's not really a fan. 

And for dinner we went back to Vancouver and ate with our friends. Homemade tamales - it was impressive.


And now I've had a bit of a breakfast here in the room:

Soy vanilla yogurt cup topped with 1/4 cup granola, coffee with soymilk - in my Famous Lefties mug. 
Did you know Marilyn Monroe was left-handed?

The dorm room has a little fridge and a coffeemaker. (Thanks to my friend Kristel who was here before me - Hi Kristel!) There's a kitchen downstairs too, but I'm not sure how much cooking I'll really do since there seems to be quite a bit of vegan friendly food here. 

It's time to go back to real life and start my day. 

Any Portland food recs for me? I need your help knowing what's worth it and what's just okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!