Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Let's Play 20 Questions!

20 Questions...

I was tagged a while ago by awesome Sarah over at theShuBox in this get-to-know-you game, a "flexible quiz."

I'm completely honored, in part because she's extremely smart and in part because I'm essentially trying to become her…professionally at the very least, though I'd take her wardrobe and notebook collection if I could.

I love reading these, there's always so many fun quirks to different people, and I'm happy to finally have time to write this up. (Okay...I'm avoiding studying and writing this, that's a free fun fact.)

The Flexible Quiz rules:
Rule #1: The tagged person must write their answers on their blog and replace any question they dislike with a new question formulated by themselves.

Rule #2: Tag 4 people to do this quiz; they cannot refuse (ok, so nothing bad will happen if you don’t participate but I would love to see your answers). The tag-ee must state who tagged them.

1. Name 3 things you are looking forward to.
  a. The post-Boards 2-week never-ending party. And going home to Oregon and seeing miss Emma (sister #2) graduate from high school. 

There she is (left)! She's going to love me for this picture.
Remember Emma: I have far worse.

  b. The end of my clothes-purchasing fast (May 1st!) - shopping will commence in earnest, my professional wardrobe needs some work. 
  c. This Saturday, because I have nothing planned. 

[I love articulating things I'm looking forward to. It has a definite benefit to my psyche. Boyfriend does a great job of asking me this question regularly.]

2. If you could have a dream come true, what would it be?

Truly, I'm still a stars-in-the-eyes young medical student. I want to save some lives.

3. You have $200. You have to spend it on yourself, you can't donate it, and it can't be something you actually need. What will it be?
An Anthro dress. I'm so looking forward to shopping again.



4. What helps to pull you out of a bad mood?
Being outside, a workout and/or a cup of tea. And talking to Mom, Dad, sisters or Boyfriend. Always.

5. What is your bedtime routine?
It depends on whether I'm having a slacker day or a good-student day.

Ideally:
6:45 pm: Come home from studying.
7 pm: Dinner (usually just requires heating leftovers).
7-8 pm: (So with dinner) Blog browsing/internetting/write post.
8-9 pm: Study again. This has yet to happen. I've done like half an hour some nights.
9-9:30 pm: Read or back to the internet. (or sleep early).
9:30 pm: Sleep!

6. If you are currently in a relationship, how did you meet your significant other?
Last Christmas, 2010. 

Boyfriend and I met our senior year of high school - 2005 - at a scholarship competition hosted by our undergrad. We spent a little time together - he got the scholarship, I did not, but he doesn't really like it when I tease him about that. I said he was brilliant right? At the time, he was in a relationship, I loved NOT being in a relationship, and we lived states apart. I remember when I went back home I told my friends I'd met a couple cute guys, but I just sort of checked that off as a positive for the college in general.

I never imagined that a year and a half later, I'd be lucky enough that he would like me back.

7. What kind of books do you read?
Boards review books. And textbooks.

Oh, what do I like to read? I hardly remember. Right now I'm reading This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Boyfriend gave it to me over a year ago, and I'm just starting it. I LOVE reading, it's just really taken a backseat in the past couple years.

8. How do you see yourself in 10 years?
Married, 3-4 kids, an actual M.D. working only as much as I want, living somewhere lovely (Northwest!) and remembering this time with a fond rosy halo around it. Also in awesome shape, with zero wrinkles, a dog that never misbehaves, and the successful author of something life-changing. It's my imaginary future right?

9. What’s your fear?
That I will die before I have a chance to make all the recipes I've bookmarked. Seriously.

For real though, I've seen like one horror movie in my life because I cannot stand scary movies. I will freak myself out to no end and never be able to walk outside in the dark again. And that would be a problem, since it's dark when I run in the morning.

10. Would you give up all junk food for the rest of your life for the opportunity to see outer space?
I don't really think so. I don't feel like I'll live long enough to see everything I want to on Earth, let's not expand it to the whole universe. Besides, I rather love my baked treats.

11. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
First first? I identify what's singing at me (my itunes alarm on my phone, currently set to serenade me with Owl City) and turn down the volume, because I set it super loud, but my roommates would hate it if I left it like that.

12. If you could change one thing about your significant other, what would it be?
I would move him to the same place as me. But he is moving just an hour away in June!

13. If you could pick a new name for yourself, what would it be?
I think as a kid I went through phases of wanting to be named April. And possibly Veronica? Now I certainly wouldn't change it for anything. I wouldn't know how to be anybody else. Like Selena Gomez says:


14. If you had to choose between six months of sun or six months of rain, what would you choose?
I grew up in Oregon, where we have 9 months of rain, and I LOVED it.

But I've been living for 6 years in southern California, so I'm now a wimp, though I still secretly mock people that use umbrellas. 

Why can I not have both? I miss seasons. Yes, I will take both.

15. If you could only eat one thing for the next 6 months, what would it be?
This is a question on a survey for food/health bloggers? Rude. Yet I like the challenge.



16. What is the thing you enjoy about blogging the most?
  • The moments of writing are so peaceful.
  • The chance to process what's going on in my life. I've literally written myself right out of a bad mood, without even realizing it. That's awesome right?
  • The record I'm creating of my life.
  • This community reminds me daily of the kindness of strangers. It makes me want to be more supportive of the people in my real life too. You all make me try to be a better person!

17. Do you prefer salty or sweet foods?
Sweet. No question. I never ever crave salty food. I mean, I eat salty foods as part of my meals (only lunch and dinner though), but if I'm craving something it's probably sweet. Lately I've been really wanting pancakes.

18. What items are in your purse right now?
I currently do not have a packed purse, as I've taken to carrying my backpack full of study materials everywhere I go like a crazy study hobo.

In the backpack:
Books/study materials
Splenda. And tea. In that order.
A packet of black pepper. (why?)
Power cords - laptop, cell phone.
Headphones.
Checkbook, wallet. 
Planner.
Gum. Though more gum wrappers at the moment.
Keys.
Enormous makeup bag - full of highlighters, pens and whiteboard markers. There's no makeup in my backpack at all, though there is Chapstick.

19. If you had to choose between vacationing at the beach or in the mountains where would you go?
This is like choosing between sunshine and rain! Well, I've been living in sun for a long time, I think I'd love to go to the mountains. I ski, but it's been awhile. I miss snow.


Backyard in Oregon, Thanksgiving 2010. 

20. What do you watch on television that you know you shouldn’t?
SO MANY (and I've seen pretty much every episode/season of all of these)



Gossip Girl = possibly my favorite. Pure frivolous entertainment. 
One Tree Hill
Pretty Little Liars
Vampire Diaries
90210
Grey's Anatomy
Crime dramas: CSI, CSI:NY, Bones

Glee
The Bachelor/Bachelorette

At least my friends come over for the last two - it's an actual social event. The rest, well, I'm clinging tight to my teenage years.


_________________________________________

Okay…you four are next!
Megan at The Oatmeal Diaries
Chelsea at One Healthy Munchkin
Mich at Sick B*tch
Abby at A Picture a Day

_____________________________________

Another note: I'm trying out a new comment format - Intense Debate - just another way I'm trying to become miss SHU, so I can reply to comments (and you can get my replies, and reply to other people). Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know if you have any trouble with it, my email's in the about/contact page.