Okay, here's an achievement to celebrate: chili to love.
When I offered my friend (and invaluable study compadre) Molly a bowl of this chili, she looked in the pot and said, "There's broccoli in this chili."
True, there's broccoli in this chili, like a spiced up stew version of a grilled veggie burrito, this is satisfying and flavorful, with plenty of protein from the black beans, some vitamin-laden veggies and sweet potatoes (got to keep my hands orange).
I made this lovely stew last weekend, so it's been my go-to leftover meal for the past week.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Makes 8 cups, 180 calories each.
1 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
One 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups water
2 carrots, sliced
2.5 cups fresh or frozen broccoli, in florets
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1. Cook onion in the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat until almost translucent, 5-8 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook one minute, stir frequently.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, except broccoli.
4. Bring to a boil, then simmer partially covered about 20 minutes.
5. Add broccoli and simmer another 10 minutes.
To serve, squeeze in some lemon, maybe add cilantro, salsa, even guacamole or tortilla chips.
Pair with a lazy-girl Fiesta salad: Lettuce + Salsa.
Do your friends ever act surprised by the ingredients in your food?