Monday, February 28, 2011

I May Be Orange Forever


A few months ago I was hanging out with boyfriend, minding my own business, and thinking about how great he is and how he's so understanding of my feelings and careful about saying things I could take and run wild with and turn into insults in my head. He was holding my hands, and I was thinking, "This is so nice," when he abruptly asked,

"Why are your hands orange?"

I thought, 'What is he talking about? Is he right? Oh my gosh, is this a deal breaker? That diamond's not going to look nearly as nice on my finger if he's right. He's totally going to ditch me for a girl with normal-colored hands.'

And I said, "What?"

"Look at your palms, they're orange."

And he is right. Other people have since asked me why my hands are orange. My dad (a knowledgeable man, and a doctor) says they're "in the range of normal." Well that's good news. I guess boyfriend can't use that as an excuse to escape.

I'm reasonably confident I know why my hands are a little orange. It's my beta-carotene consumption. Don't get me wrong, beta-carotene is an awesome nutrient, dietary vitamin A, which we need for lots of things. But really, I eat a lot of it:
I eat carrots like I'm getting paid for it - whole, peel on, like Bugs Bunny.
I also love sweet potatoes in basically everything. And DIY sweet potato fries. Or roasted rounds.
And lots of spinach and pumpkin, also primary sources.

The point is to say that I have no plans to change soon. Why? Because Saturday night I made a very orange Curry Sweet Potato Stew, and it might just be the best thing I've made this year. The spice blend and lentils are inspired by a Veganomicon recipe, and seriously, I wish I could feed this to all of you. It's like a warm nutritious sweet and spicy blanket for your wounded soul. Or stomach. Both.

Curry Sweet Potato Stew
Makes 10 cups. 350 calories per 2 cup serving. 
1 tbsp oil
1 onion diced
5 carrots sliced
1 large sweet potato cut in chunks
1 tbsp curry powder (15 g - ok that's a little extra. I love curry.)
1/2 tsp turmeric (2 g)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 g)
1/2 tsp cumin (2 g)
1/2 tsp coriander (2 g)
1 tsp ground ginger (4 g)
1.5 cups red lentils
2 cups veggie broth
3 cups water
2 tbsp cilantro
Juice of 1 lime 

1. Sautee onion over medium heat a few minutes, then add spices, cook 1 minute.
2. Add carrots, give it a minute.
3. Add liquids (broth and water), bring to a boil.
4. Add lentils, cover and simmer 12 mins (they'll get mushy). 
5. Add potatoes, simmer about another 25-30 mins until potatoes are tender. 
6. Add cilantro and lime (or just do this bowl by bowl). 

Also, a chutney really takes this to the next level. I like the Mango-Ginger Chutney from Trader Joe's. What don't I love from Trader Joe's? I'll forget about those wasabi peas. 




All this to say, I'm orange, but I'm happy with my dinner. What's more important really?










4 comments:

Christina said...

haha, oh my gosh, are your hands really orangey? i want to see!

Kelsey said...

haha. i love it. i mostly love that your hands are "in the range of normal" haha.

Chelsea said...

Ahh I'm always scared I'll turn orange from all the beta-carotene I eat. But this soup looks totally worth the orange-tinged skin. Yum!

Mich said...

I can't wait to try that recipe--it's something Mum might actually LIKE! :D

Lol, my little bro was really picky as a baby and would ONLY eat the carrot or sweet potato baby foods, and his whole body turned orange. It was weird. Your orange hand story reminded me of that...

xoxo

Post a Comment

Add a comment!