Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pumpkin Crepes with Banana-Maple Butter

Today I woke up bright and early even though it's Saturday. I'll probably need a nap in the afternoon though, because I didn't fall asleep until kind of late. I did a little yoga with the rain outside (which has now stopped...sad face) and it was beyond relaxing.

I wanted to cook something new for breakfast, and Chelsea recently wrote about pumpkin pie pancakes, so taking some inspiration from there, I made some crepes. I've never mastered crepes the way my mom has. Hers are impossibly thin, but I've realized I rather like mine a bit thicker and fluffier; they really hold their own to blend with the toppings.

Vegan Pumpkin Crepes with Banana-Maple Butter
Notes:
1. These aren't sweet crepes, which makes them a great wholesome vehicle (with whole wheat flour!) for a sweet banana topping like this one, but they would also pair easily in a savory dish. I'm thinking of trying a vegan sage cheese sauce...we'll see. 
2. I use Ener-G egg replacer in this one. If you're not vegan/allergic, you just need 2 eggs instead. 
3. This made 13 small crepes. I find it works best to make them little because too much batter will result in too thick a crepe. 

For Crepes:
(13 crepes. 50 calories each.)
All-purpose flour: 1/2 cup (60 g)
Whole wheat flour: 1/2 cup (60 g)
Powder for 2 Ener-G eggs: 3 tsp (8 g)
Baking powder: 1/2 tsp (2 g)
Salt: 1/2 tsp (2 g)
Vanilla extract: 1 tsp (4 g)
Pumpkin Puree: 1/2 cup (123 g)
Non-dairy milk (used Almond): 1 cup (8 oz.)
Agave: 1/2 tbsp (11 g)
Water: 1/4 cup (2 oz.)
Spices: Ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, Allspice and/or Cloves totaling 2-3 tsp (8-12 g)
(The spices are easily customizable, or you can use Pumpkin Pie Spice)

For Topping:
(2 servings, 75 calories each)
1 banana
Ground flax: 2 tsp (4 g)
Non-dairy milk: 1/4 cup (2 oz.)
Maple syrup (I have sugar-free right now): 1 tbsp (1/2 oz.)

1. Combine all crepe ingredients in food processor, blender, or vigorously by hand. (If you're using regular eggs it's easy by hand, but the egg replacer doesn't mix in quite as easily, so some electronic help is nice). 
2. Scoop in scant 1/4 cup measures onto a pan sprayed with oil over medium heat.
3. Tilt pan to spread quickly, then wait for bubbles to form and edges to curl, a couple minutes
4. Flip, cook another minute. 
5. Continue cooking one by one. 
6. Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients in a bowl and whisk/mash banana with a fork. It will thicken as it sets into sweet banana "butter." 
7. Plate. Love.







Now I'm ready to go on with my day, which may just include more cooking. I love Saturday. 
Tomorrow it's nose back to the study grindstone, so I'll enjoy it while I can. Also, nose to the grindstone is a weird phrase. Is it like, someone's working hard in a profession that requires a grindstone? Or is this hypothetical person's nose literally getting ground by this stone? Because that sounds awful. And feels like my life sometimes. But not today. Today there are crepes. 







1 comment:

K said...

mmmm that looks gooood girlie :) I wanna try this

Post a Comment

Add a comment!