Sunday, February 27, 2011

National Strawberry Day

According to various food holiday web lists, today is National Strawberry Day. It seems like a weird day for it, considering it's February and they're not in season, but they were on sale at the grocery store and I've never been one to pass up celebrating an obscure holiday. Or strawberries.

So a highlight of today's food was: Spinach Balsamic Strawberry Salad. Jiminy Christmas.



That said, I also ate a LOT of other food. It wasn't an overeating day, though I do have those, it was just a planned increase in intake. That's because I had a 9 mile run this morning to train for my race coming up, and I like to add in at least a few extra calories on those days to support the training. In fact, that salad was just a light afternoon snack.

Food 1: Post-workout pre-breakfast SIAWG.

What's a SIAWG? You may or may not be familiar with the acronym SIAB - smoothie in a bowl. 

Well this is a Smoothie in a Wine Glass. 



Maple Nut Smoothie
In the mix: 
1 tbsp almonds 
1/8 cup peanut flour 
1 oz. maple syrup
Big handfuls spinach
ice cubes
1/2 cup almond milk
60 g soy yogurt
guar gum

And topped with a tablespoon of walnuts. It has 8.5 g fiber and 20 g protein, and tastes like my favorite waffle toppings: maple and peanut butter. 

Food 2: Breakfast, leftover Pumpkin Crepes with Maple Banana Butter.

Food 3: Leftover Orange "Chicken" Quinoa Medley. This was the last of it, in case you're sick of this picture:

Food 4: I tried to eat some wasabi peas. I haven't tried them since I was a little kid. Yuck. Still awful. Anyone want some? I have a whole bag. 

Food 5: Baby apple.

Food 6: The above Strawberry Balsamic Salad.

Food 7: I unfroze the last batch of this Thai Red Curry and had it with Trader Joe's Thai Lime Pilaf rice. 

Food 8: Coming up still, some vegan hot chocolate. 

Besides the run, it was just a study day. This week is going to be pretty crazy. It really never ends does it?

I'm watching the Academy Awards now, and otherwise this evening I do have some more study ambitions.

Happy Sunday friends. Let's dominate this week. 






1 comment:

Frederica said...

Stawberry season is over for this year, so those other recipes come in useful. Thanks for inspiration, beautiful blog!

Post a Comment

Add a comment!