Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday Breakfast: Carrot Cake Pancakes.

Yesterday the inspired Megan of The Oatmeal Diaries wrote about carrot cake pancakes. They looked awesome of course, and I knew I must make a version ASAP.

So I typed "vegan carrot cake pancakes" into google, and was brought immediately to the ppk version by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She's pretty much genius and has never led me wrong, so I used it as a jumping off point. Since I cook with my food scale and don't use measuring cups/spoons, I've included weights for everything as well. 
I'm not going to bury the lead on this ... best pancakes I've ever made!

Vegan Carrot Cake Pancakes
Modified from the Post Punk Kitchen (modifications in bold)

2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (13 g)
1 cup non-dairy milk (8 oz.): vanilla soymilk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (4 g)
1/4 cup water (2 oz.)
1/4 cup maple syrup: 2 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup (1 oz.), 2 tbsp agave (1 oz.)
2 tablespoons canola oil (28 g)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (4 g)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour: 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder (10 g)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 g)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (4 g)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (2 g)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (2 g)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (1 g)
1  cup peeled grated carrot (used 3 medium)

Mix flaxseeds w/ milk - set 1 min.
Add vinegar, water, syrups, oil, vanilla extract and mix well. 
In separate bowl combine flours through allspice.
Add wet to dry and fold in carrot. Let sit 5 mins.
Heat pan on medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook 3 at a time 4 mins one side, flip, 2 mins other side. I used a large melon baller to scoop them.










The recipe said it would make 12, but it ended up being 15. 78 calories per pancake. 
Then to breakfast: Pancakes with 1/2 cup hot applesauce


Awesome. 

I'm sitting down with these, and watching The Social Network. It's kind of an ideal Saturday, we'll see what I come up with.  









5 comments:

Vivian Cardinale said...

Wow great recipe! Love that they are vegan! Must try these soon!

briarrose said...

Wonderful pancakes. I love the carrot cake flavor.

Megan D said...

So glad I inspired you! Yours pancakes look awesome. And as far as soy cheese, I just buy a shredded mix from Trader Joe's. I really like it!

Anonymous said...

this looks like a wonderful recipe, i'm definitely going to try this soon. thanks for posting

Shannon said...

Even I might eat that...you should fly here and cook me breakfast every morning.

Post a Comment

Add a comment!