Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles


Or: There's how much cayenne pepper in your cookie?

Most of you are probably familiar with the Master Cleanse diet. Great for a couple days if you're going to walk the red carpet at the Oscars - like the woman of my dreams, Natalie Portman - not so healthy otherwise. Anyway, a central component is that awful blend of lemon, water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Apparently the cayenne pepper is supposed to boost metabolism. If that's true, have another one of these cookies...

These were actually made this weekend, and since I'm back to my normal study life, sometimes I like to think back fondly on happier times, like Sunday, when these cookies rocked my world.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles
Here are my notes - 
1a. When you add that much cayenne pepper, it looks like a lot, but the taste is SPOT ON. I'm a complete wimp when it comes to spice - I promise it's not overwhelming.
1b. I devoured like 5 of these no problem, but if you're stomach's sensitive to spicy food, 
you may want to cut it a little bit. 
2. The recipe says the dough should stick to your fingers to make it easy to put the topping on, but I had to just kind of pinch the side to flip it back over because it wasn't really that sticky. 
3. I baked these in a slightly sketchy apartment oven on dark roasting pans, because that's all we had. 
Solution to keep from burning: Make them small, and bake only 8 minutes. 
4. Total yield: 42
5. Nutrition: 72 calories each. 

The best part? I had a co-chef on this one - Thanks Evan!


Mix up the dough.

Scoop about this much. 

Roll it up.

Pat it into the topping. Flip it back onto the cookie sheet. Bake.

Pick up...

Devour with love.

Try not to eat them all. 

7 comments:

Christina said...

these look awesome. i love that they're rolled in the topping for a nice crunch!

Anonymous said...

I love that recipe! Those cookies are addicting.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, those look so good!! I nominated you for the "Versatile Blogger Award" :)

Here's what you do...

1. Thank the person who loved you enough to bestow this gift.
2. Share seven things about yourself.
3. Bestow this honor on to ten newly discovered or followed Bloggers - in no particular order - who are fantastic in some way.
4. Drop by and let your ten new friends know your admiration.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the recipe book Vegan cupcakes take over the world!
Totally worth it!

K said...

Those look good! I'm gunna make them as soon as I get the ingredience

Mich said...

Those look so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you walk us through your recipes. I almost think could make them. I know if I grab one of those delicious looking cookies out of my computer screen I would eat it.

Post a Comment

Add a comment!