Monday, March 28, 2011

Mexican Meal: Spiced Black Beans, Veganomicon Potato Enchiladas


Let's talk about vegan enchiladas. As regular readers may know, I pretty much love the Veganomicon, and have never been disappointed when I follow one of their recipes. 

No surprise: these Potato Enchiladas were awesome.

If you don't own the book, I'll refer you to this post from another food blog, because it seems silly to type it all again. 

Here are my notes: 
The original recipe: Potato Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce
Our version: Potato Spinach Enchiladas (with Enchilada Sauce from a can...still delicious.)

1. The reviews I've read of this recipe say the sauce really makes it awesome and I have no doubt that's true, but these were awesome with a canned enchilada sauce as well, so you know they're good. 
2. The recipe is written for about 12-14 enchiladas, but we used the following:
  a. 2.5 pounds potato (about 2 large)
  b. 1 pound spinach
  c. All the spices etc. were multiplied 1.5 times. 
  d. Total yield: 20 enchiladas, using medium-size corn tortillas. 
        (2 enormous trays, 1 pan was 9x13, one was even bigger)
3. When I tasted the filling before assembly, I was concerned there was a little too much lime, but it turned out great once we put it with the sauce and tortillas. 
4. We used up one 28 oz. can enchilada sauce, but some people thought we should have used more. Personally, I like the top of my enchiladas with a little crisp, but not everyone does, so amp up the sauce if you're in that camp. 
5. We topped one tray with cheese when we took off the foil for the last 10 mins. This made a crispy cheese topping, but add it even later if you just want it melty. (Just my thoughts on that - I didn't actually eat any with the cheese). 
6. There were 6 of us and we had about 8 leftover enchiladas - about 2 a person is a great serving. 
7. Nutrition - (without cheese) 147 calories per enchilada. 

We served this meal with: 
   - Evan's awesome guacamole
   - Chips
   - Spiced Mexican Black Beans - this recipe from Food.com. It was great, we just subbed vegetable broth for chicken, only used about 1/4 of a jalapeno, and no cheese. 
   - More cheese for the omnis (AKA everybody except me). 







Thanks to all of you who were willing to try this vegan enchilada experiment.

1 comment:

Mae said...

That looks so yummy. I have nearly everything there, I just need to pick up a can of enchilada sauce... I see myself making this next weekend. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Add a comment!