Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vegan MoFo 15: Cooking Time Audit #3


Previously in this month's Cooking Time Audit series, I've reviewed two Veganomicon recipes: Sweet Potato-Pear Tzimmes and Carmelized Onion-Butternut Roast with [Hazelnuts], and found that the estimates were pretty decent, barring my own errors from cooking ignorance. (Shell hazelnuts before you roast them!)


For today's recipe I thought I'd do a little head to head with one of my favorite bloggers: Miss Clean Eating Chelsey. A little while back she posted a recipe for Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash, and as soon as I saw that first photo, I had plans to find myself a squash. Find that recipe (and prettier pictures than mine) here.

Stated time estimate: 45 mins. 
Actual time spent: 40 mins. 

This recipe is nice because it's designed so that you make all the filling (cook quinoa, sautee brussels, heat garbanzos, make glaze) while the squash is roasting and it doesn't take you any extra time. I ended up sharing the oven with Roomie Katie, who was baking cookies, so it was a little hotter - 375, and the squash was easily done in 40 minutes, so that's the difference.


The only other comment I would make is that we had about twice the filling necessary for one squash - maybe I used too many brussel sprouts? I just can't resist the extra vegetables. I'm not complaining though. We're just going to buy another squash and fill it up again for another meal. I'm actually pretty excited about it. The filling would be delicious on it's own also.


It was ridiculously good- balsamic, maple, squash and brussels all together gave a really nice diversity of both taste and texture. Next up I think I'm going to make her Spaghetti Squash Primavera. 

Off to buy another Acorn Squash. 

Do you have a favorite recipe from the blog world? I'm realizing there's tons I haven't tried - so point out the great ones please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!