Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vegan MoFo 1: Celebratory Breakfast


First things first: It's Vegan Month of Food! To start it off, I wanted the first meal to be something that felt celebratory and unlike my usual breakfasts (oatmeal and yogurt bowls). I also wanted it to be kind of healthy. And not overwhelming in size because I don't always trust myself to eat only one portion as opposed to the whole pan/batch. 


Growing up Saturday mornings were special because if we were feeding ourselves, it was Toaster Strudel. Not Poptarts - I never ate a Poptart until high school - Toaster Strudel. Warm, sticky, almost nothing nutritional to redeem them. They were a maybe once-a-week treat. 

Even better though were the mornings when we were actually running on time to Church, and Mom had a chance to make pancakes. Mom's chocolate chip pancakes were like jumping on pink clouds, playing with a fluffy puppy and eating chocolate all at the same time. That good. One of those happy childhood memories I want to keep forever - until I remember my sisters smearing syrup in my hair, running crazy circles around the kitchen and trying to liberate various necessary Church garments from my closet. Then I want to be certain I never forget. 

So this Saturday morning I decided nothing would suffice but chocolate chip pancakes. Since I didn't have a go-to chocolate chip pancake recipe, I used the Peas and Thank You Apple Cinnamon Pancake recipe, but cut it down to 1/4 batch to serve just me. I used the whole wheat pastry flour option because that's what was on hand - I also cut the cinnamon and replaced the apple with 1 tbsp chocolate chips per intended pancake (2). 

Ingredients, bowl, food scale, recipe-master AKA laptop. 

Baking powder, cinnamon, salt, whole wheat pastry flour, soymilk, chocolate chips, sugar.

Dry.

Plus wet.

Equals pancakes.

Less than 20 minutes later, I had 2 fluffy chocolatey still-a-little-healthy pancakes. Topped with half a banana, 2 tbsp maple syrup and a pinch of powdered sugar. 



I couldn't have asked for a better meal to usher in this Vegan Month of Food.

What was your favorite childhood breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!