Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegan MoFo 30: Halloween Hemp Milk


Hemp Milk. A few years ago I would have said, "What? I make bracelets out of that stuff. And I hear people smoke it. Snort it? I don't know. Whatever. People don't drink it weirdo."


So what did I do today? I made hemp milk. 

After my visit to 118 Degrees, I wanted to crack open my raw food cookbook, but I wanted something super simple. I'm not "going raw" any time soon, and I didn't want to buy a bunch of new ingredients that I wouldn't use before they went bad. I was also limited by my lack of a dehydrator. (Can you use an oven on a low setting?) 


So ... I happen to know my local health food store sells hemp seeds in the bulk bin, so I bought some on the same outing that I went to buy some extra lets-not-get-egged-by-the-neighbor-kids candy.



I just followed the recipe in Raw Food Basics, but a little googling will give you some variation of 1:1 water to seeds with about a tablespoon of sweetener per cup seeds (or cup water) pretty much across the board. After straining, I think maybe I didn't blend well enough, or possibly should have just kept the grit. I'm afraid I've left nutrients behind. Next time I think I won't strain it. After saving most of it in the fridge, I added some canned pumpkin and spices to a little sampling. Yes, adding the pumpkin makes it no longer raw. But also delicious. 



Verdict: Good enough for any raw witches, ghouls or ghosts that come knocking.


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!