Friday, October 7, 2011

Vegan MoFo 7: Instant Curry Pilaf Review


I bought this portable instant pilaf cup at my local health food store a while back. I was attracted by the prominent "vegan" label on the front and the 99 cent price tag. Inexpensive and prominently designated safe to eat? I buy new things like this often. It's a frequent problem. I'm sorry I'm not sorry.


It's pretty easy to cook - either add boiling water and let sit or just give a few mins in the microwave. I did like the simplicity and speed.


Taste-wise it had good curry spice and depth and was properly filling, I really liked the addition of a little dried fruit for surprising sweetness against the curry flavor, and the wild rice was good too. My only complaint is that is was far too salty. I think this is a problem that could be easily solved though - next time I wouldn't add the whole flavoring packet, 1/2 or 3/4 is probably plenty. It would also be good with some additional vegetables (really, what isn't?)

Verdict: I would buy it again, just beware the salt.

Ever buy something just because it says "vegan" (or gluten-free, or raw, or whatever else)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!